Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Today's gripe

Last night, on the way home from work, I passed the following dead animals lying by the side of the road: a deer, a raccoon, an opossum, a ground hog, a skunk and two cats. This in a distance of less than 8 miles.

These must be really hard times, not just for humans, but for animals. Why else would they be throwing themselves in the paths of cars in such numbers?

I'm going to start an office pool, the winner of which will correctly predict the day this month (or next) when PennDOT gets around to sending the carcass collector to Park Avenue to remove the deer just across from the cemetery entrance and right up the street from the high school. You can't miss it. It's bloated, its legs are sticking up in the air, and it's starting to leak.

1 comment:

Brant said...

I've got to stick up for PennDOT, at least in my experience. The last time I called for a deer carcass removal - and this was just recently - the guy cleaned it up within a day or two. I do, however, see some that lie about for weeks, even months. Maybe nobody calls about some of the bodies.