Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Complaints and questions

More proof that Christmas is over...

We received a couple of letters in the past few days from folks who have had to go out of their way to find something to be miserable about. One was from a woman who had attended a local choral concert. "The conductor, whoever he was, never expressed any recognition to anyone or anything. In all my 71 years of seeing concerts, recitals, plays, etc., have I ever witnessed such insult to all these hard working individuals that made the evening possible."

Another came from a reader who had just seen the film, "Marley and Me." She wrote: "I did not think the movie was funny in any way, and it was actually rather cruel to even portray this as a funny family movie to be seen over Christmas. After I left the movie, I cried a lot and it ruined my evening."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I suggest that these "reasons for being miserable" are but the mere "tip of the iceberg" of more serious psychological difficulties. To the second letter writer I would like to ask: What are you, some kind of a baby? Lighten up; life is too short.

Ellipses said...

I got a pizza once... and one slice didn't have ANY pepperoni on it... It was like they made the cuts specifically to deprive that one slice of any meat... I have never seen anything so hideous!

Anonymous said...

So just what is a feel-good family movie these days? Maybe Tom Cruise trying to blow up Hitler in "Valkyrie" will lift my spirits. Or maybe I'll be so upset that Hitler excaped that I'll cry all night. What really depresses me is that Owen Wilson is a star.

Anonymous said...

What really depresses me is that so many people are depressed. As an old Kennedy-era bootlegger, turned jewler, in Newport, RI once told me, "Any day you wake up is a good day." -Annonymous I