Friday, January 2, 2009

A new story

In the early days of January, 38 years ago, I found myself confronted with making a career choice, deciding what to do for the rest of my life. I hadn't a clue what to do.

Many people my age were thinking about not what was best for themselves, or how much money they could earn, but what good they could do for society. We were under the impression that we were somehow different from our parents, and that we could change the world. We were young and dumb. Some of us never got over being dumb.

At the time, I had no interest in journalism; instead, I chose a more familiar path, through an environment I had trudged the previous 17 years.
Our next story follows that path. As with the previous serials, I have an idea how this one starts and where it ends, but I don't know how long it will take to get there. Because all of this this happened 38 years ago, I can't possibly recall conversations verbatim, but I will do my best to reconstruct them based on what exists in my faulty memory. What happened is real, but names of most characters are changed so as to prevent embarrassment to any of them still walking this Earth.

We'll call this one "Student Teacher."
It starts Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your "Fuller Brush man" fits the description of the psychiatrist that interviewed me for the army draft. He thought I was nuts. I knew he was. There must have been alot of them running around back then.