Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A new feature

For the past four years, I have been complaining, answering complaints and telling stories on this blog. You folks seem to be running out of things to complain about, and so am I. And to tell you the truth, I'm about storied out. So I'm going to change the direction of this blog.

Starting today, I'm dipping into our newspaper's archives for old photos – humorous, thought-provoking, intriguing ones – to share them with you. We'll call it the Picture Box. Here we go...

I found this photo (a post card, actually) in the bottom of a file drawer not opened for many years. It was tucked into a little booklet called "Public School Souvenir 1915," apparently given to students at the end of the school year. From it, I've learned that the man seated front right is George W. Marshall Jr., teacher at the Time Public School in Morris Township, Greene County. The other young men are unidentified. Perhaps they were also teachers, or maybe just friends. Note the art vase on the steps, probably presented to the teacher as a gift from his pupils. It would probably fetch a good price on "Antiques Roadshow" today. Who knows what happened to George Marshall? Did he go off to war, and did he return? Why was this memorabilia in our archives? We may never know.

No comments: